Friday, July 25, 2008

Busted

It's no secret among my friends and family that I rarely get out of my pajamas before mid-afternoon. My usual MO is that I crawl out of bed, go downstairs, and start working right away. Eventually, I will take a shower and get dressed. Sometimes that does not happen until 5 or so. Life goes on.

A while back, I made the mistake of going down to the mail box at around 4, still clad in my pajamas, and was caught by my nosy next door neighbor and her daughters. One of them asked if it was "pajama day at my school" because I was still wearing mine, and they were all shocked to see me so clad so late in the afternoon. I have also been seen in my pajamas returning neighbors' dogs to them when I saw them running loose through my back yard. I figured that my shame in being inappropriately dressed was less damaging than having a pet lost.

This morning, I went down to the mailbox to put mail out. A truck from the gas company came around the corner, but I didn't think anything about it. Turns out that my friend M had a gas leak in her attic, and the gas company was coming out to shut it off. They told her that they thought that they would be coming to my house when they saw me out in the driveway in my pajamas. It appears that many women do that when they think that they might be asphyxiated if they don't get out of the house RIGHT NOW. But, no, they needed to go two doors down. To think that I had the audacity to be in my pajamas at 8:30 in the morning! Quelle horreur! And this is me on a good day.

M said that it was all that she could do to keep from screaming laughing, because she knew exactly who they were talking about. Bite me, gas company men.

No comments: