Sunday, August 3, 2008

Grocery Shopping

I loathe grocery shopping. It's always so expensive, especially now, and the stores are too huge. Main reasons:
  1. I'm not good at clipping coupons. I try, but invariably forget to bring them. Or, I don't have enough time to go through the ones that I have thoroughly.
  2. I always forget something that is actually written on the list, or forget to put something essential on the list. Yes, even if it's on the list, I'll pass it up.
  3. I always forget to bring the reusable bags that are in the trunk of my car. Now I have 7 of them and I think that I've reused them once.
  4. I'm not interested enough to actually shop. I only go in to get what I'm looking for, and never look at the shelves to see what is new. So, I always miss something cool.
  5. If H comes with me, and I try not to let this happen, he throws all kinds of scary things in the cart that I don't even notice until the cashier is scanning it. Although, tonight he was pretty well behaved. And, he argues about coupons.
  6. Kroger is the WORST. The store is dark, filthy, poorly stocked, and even more poorly managed. But, we can get 10 cents off per gallon of gas if we spend $100 in a month. We've gone there for the last few months, but I'm sick to death of it and we went back to Publix anyway.
  7. See? Dammit. I just realized that I forgot to buy a chunk of cheese, even though I was in the cheese aisle for 5 minutes. Crap.
When I first got sick and was living with my mom, I used to pass out in the grocery store. I don't know if it was all the walking around or the stress of being surrounded by so much food, but it always did me in. I'd last for about 5 minutes and have to go wait in the car... even if it was only 5 degrees out. She was just so worried that I wasn't eating that she would buy anything that she thought would tempt me. Interesting, but that hasn't changed much.

Now, I hate going to the grocery store unless I have a buzz. H and I went to Applebee's first. Two beers and a salad later and I tolerated it pretty well. Plus, it only took about half an hour. I'm having Magellan gin on the rocks now to recover from the trauma.

No comments: