Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cat Chaos

A friend of mine from work is staying with us for a little while because she has gone through some pretty heavy stuff in the last week or so. Mom left yesterday, and last night I ran around to make sure that D's room and bathroom were all set.

We (okay, I) had the brilliant idea to shut the girls in our room overnight so that D wouldn't have to worry about them lurking around. I put the litter box in our bathtub, showed them both where it was, and shut the door.

Normally, we leave our bedroom door open so that they have the run of the house. The litter box is kept in the laundry room next door. I put the litter box in the bathtub because I am sick to death of stepping on it in my bare feet, because both beasts track it all over everywhere.

Now, it's no secret that cats are nocturnal animals. Ours lurk all over the house during the night. They also chase each other up and down the hall and stairs. Why on earth would I take that into account when I shut them up in our room with us attempting to sleep?

I was awakened at about 2:45 am to the sound of hissing, which is normal, and them jumping up and down off the bed, which is also normal. What was not normal, however, was the wet spot right next to my head. Turns out that someone had an accident. Right. Next. To. My. Head. If she was trying to prove a point, it worked. I went into the front bedroom to get the comforter, put the cat-pee-covered comforter on the floor in the front room, and tried to lay down again. Sure enough, the sheet was wet as well. K, being all excited at that point, sunk her teeth into H's toe, which elicited a scream from him. H got up to go to the bathroom (in the appropriate place, mind you) and I changed the sheets quickly. At that point, the little monsters were really freaking out. I left the door open so that they could escape, and they both ran down the stairs immediately.

With new sheets and H back in bed, he went to sleep after a lengthy sneezing fit. I lay there worried that D was awakened by the 20 minutes of chaos. She was, of course, but only heard the sneezing fit.

Welcome to our home, D! The room is comfortable, but the cats are badly behaved and you never know what you'll hear in the middle of the night!

No comments: