Sunday, February 22, 2009

In the Company of Women

I went to Chicago this weekend for a sorority reunion. It had been 15 years since I had seen most of the people that came, and it was a wonderful evening. Two of them told me that they came because I was planning on being there, and I was welcomed with open arms by so many.

It was most interesting to me that we all fell into our old patterns. The same people hung around together, and certain people didn't socialize at all, and others made sure to talk to everyone. One woman summed it up perfectly when she said that the first thing that she saw was one certain person sitting at the bar just like old times. And, as expected there was a certain amount of snottiness from others.

Just about everyone was immediately recognizable. Some gained weight, some had lost weight, and some appeared to have bad work done. Most had shiny diamonds on their left hands, and everyone had pictures to show. Thankfully, no one had enormous hair.

I was really quite nervous about going. But, I felt so loved and missed and I was shocked by how much I loved and missed some of them.

And so, I have come home.

No comments: