Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Itch

Ever since I had the setons installed in November, I have become well-acquainted with The Itch. I was very accustomed to dealing with all kinds of pain, but The Itch is all-consuming, as nothing takes care of it other than a warm shower.

I'm not sure what causes The Itch. No, that's not true. I have a theory that I will discuss with Dr. L on Tuesday. It's really gross, so you don't want to hear it. But, we need a better plan for dealing with it. Obviously, I can't spend the rest of my life in the shower, regardless of how appealing that would be.

Calmoseptine ointment has been my lifesaver. It has menthol in it, and is a moisture barrier, so that helps tremendously. However, it doesn't take care of all of the itching and certainly doesn't stop it once The Itch really starts. Only a shower does that.

I completely understand how itching can be used as an extreme form of torture. I have made H promise that if I am ever in a coma, the nurses will keep me loaded up with Calmoseptine so that I don't feel any itching. I am sure that it would drive me insane even if I was unconscious.

No comments: