Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Really Big Stack of Stuff

My Mom drove down today for a spur-of-the moment visit. She brought with her a bag filled to the brim with Boxtops and Campbell's Soup labels and Betty Crocker points. My Grandmother had been saving them since time immemorial. Betty Crocker points? Apparently, you used to be able to redeem the proofs of purchase from Betty Crocker products for Things. I think that green stamps used to work the same way. K's school collects the Boxtops, and Mom and I save them for her. The elementary school near us collects the Campbell's labels as well. But Betty Crocker?

Mom asked Grandma for whom she was saving all of it and Grandma didn't know. But, by golly, she had a lot of them! So, Mom spent some time this afternoon drinking hot chocolate (with peppermint schnapps, of course!) and sorting them out. Boxtops go to K. Campbell's labels stay here. Betty Crocker points are useless.

Unfortunately, Betty Crocker discontinued their program in 2006, according to the website. That's really unfortunate, because we could have gone on a European cruise with all of these points.

At least I know where both Mom and I get our penchant for saving things from. We come by it VERY honestly. And, for the record, Mom also brought a baggie of pop tops for our Girl Scouts. My baggie is bigger.

No comments: