Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Learning to Accept

I'm the sort of person that the Serenity Prayer was made for. I don't like to take no for an answer, and I am always looking for ways to circumvent a challenge to get the desired effect. Over the last few years, I have had to learn to deal with situations that I didn't like in the least but have carried on anyway.

Being in relatively constant pain has been a challenge but has actually been beneficial in a few ways. It has forced me to ask for help (especially with meds). It has forced me to slow down. It has forced me to take my health seriously and not for granted.

I've just started to reflect on what the most recent loss of a job will mean to my career in the long term. This is the first time since I was 15 years old that I haven't had a job in either the retail or publishing end of the book business, and it is frightening. I have always identified myself as a bookseller before practically everything. Now, I can't say that and it leads me to question who I really am.

No conclusions yet, but I hope that it will be enlightening.

No comments: