Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mulch

I'm really not crazy about yard work. My mother, who is not happy unless she has dirt under her nails, drives me insane about it. But, she would be proud of me today. I did a little bit of weeding, fertilized the roses and peonies, and put out 3 enormous bags of mulch that have been sitting in my garage since October. I meant to put down some top soil and lawn patch stuff (that have also been sitting in my garage since October) but I have run out of energy completely. Maybe I'll do it later when H is grilling dinner.

My idea of landscaping is putting in ornamental plants that require little or no maintenance. Mom's idea of landscaping is letting her yard look like the Secret Garden. I really hate that. I am much more particular about what goes in and what doesn't. We had only been in the house for about a month when she sent me a stick in a FedEx tube... it was a clipping from one of her willows. It's over 6' tall now, and is doing quite well. But, she can't understand why my yard isn't packed to overflowing with stuff. No. Never going to happen.

Besides, my joints always ache so badly and I don't tolerate any temperature over about 70 degrees. Love that Crohn's. That's really all the excuse I need to work in the yard for no more than 15 minutes at a time.

No comments: