Friday, January 9, 2009

Childhood Memories Revisited

As expected, we had an enormous amount of snow and cold weather when I was growing up in Chicagoland in the the 70s and 80s. One of the most important tools that we had in the house was our crock pot. Mom used it almost daily. We would come home from school, or inside from playing, and the entire house would be filled with the smell of something wonderful for dinner.

Of course, Mom would be near by exhorting us not to open the lid. The steam is what cooks the food, after all, and opening the lid would add half an hour onto the cooking time. Or, so she said. I could never substantiate that.

I have a 6 quart crock pot that Mom bought for me when I first moved out of the house. It's beautiful, and works wonderfully, but it's huge. So huge that I only use it for holidays or parties. There is just way too much to put into it for two people, even if we freeze half of it and eat lots of leftovers. When Linens 'n Things started their out of business sales, I bought a 4 quart one thinking that the size would be more reasonable for the two of us. It's perfect, but for one small glitch.

When you walk in the door, you smell NOTHING.

I put beef stew in it yesterday before I went to work. I also told H about it, so he was eagerly anticipating the smell and taste as well. When I walked in the door at 8:15 last night, I smelled nothing at all. Nothing. Turns out that there is a gasket on the lid that keeps all of the liquid (and aroma) in the pot where it is supposed to be. H said that he looked at it and touched it to make sure that it was working when he got home and smelled nothing. I checked it numerous times before I left the house but it was early enough in the process that I didn't expect to smell anything.

The stew was wonderful. I will put more salt and pepper and garlic in it for next time, but this was great for a first pass. And, once I opened the lid to check on it and give it a stir, the whole house was filled with the wonderful aroma. But, it wasn't quite the same as walking in the door and smelling dinner.

Sometimes technology isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

No comments: