Thursday, August 7, 2008

Justice

I was more than a little upset when I was let go from my previous publishing sales job last November. It wasn't the biggest publisher, or the most interesting list of titles, but it was good and consistent and viable. The problem was that the Publisher and President was a complete nut job that drove off most of her talent. I was a casualty of "reorganization..." which meant that she wanted to cut payroll and she hired someone to take my place at half the salary.

The woman that originally brought me to this company had worked with me in other capacities and went to great pains to find me once she needed to hire a sales rep. She was demoted (read as "dumped") in a horrible fashion before I was "reorganized," and has been hanging on by the skin of her teeth since then. We, and then she, has had numerous supervisors in the last year and a half and has rode it out like a champ.

I talked to her for quite a while this afternoon, to find out that she has landed a phenomenal position at a great publisher. She's going to be the Director of Trade Sales, and will do a marvelous job. She's so excited, and I'm thrilled for her. After all that she's been through, and all of the inevitable torture that will come over the next few weeks at the hands of a woman that is not only unprofessional but crazy, her reward will come. I can't think of a better person for something great. Knock 'em dead, J!

As bitter and cynical as I can be at some times, this renews my faith in God and mankind. I understand that none of us are meant to have an easy or free ride. There are some people that have been dealt more than their fair share of horrendous stuff and it's so renewing to see that everything clicks for them once in a while. Perhaps God is watching us after all.

No comments: