Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Crabby

I am not a very nice person. No, that's not entirely true. I'm not a bad person at all. But, airports bring out the worst in me every single time.

It's not the endless waiting in line. It's not the hike of 6 miles to get to the gate. It's not the schlepping of the overstuffed suitcase onto a shuttle bus. It's the talking.

I am one of those people that appear approachable. Strangers come up to me out of nowhere to ask directions, or questions, or for help, or just simply to make conversation. Normally, this wouldn't bother me, but when I'm traveling, I want to enjoy the traveling. I don't want seven different strangers ask me what brings me to X destination. I don't want to watch someone's bags when they say that they'll be gone for 5 minutes that turn into 20. I don't want to explain, although the gate agent already has twice, how to get on the freaking plane.

I love to travel. Packing is sport. So is buying tickets and making all of the minute yet essential arrangements. I would travel professionally if I could figure out how, and it makes me sad that travel agents are going the way of dinosaurs in this age of Travelocity. When I'm in an airport, I want to soak it all in and relax. However, I must have some target that calls me out as a sucker for helpless little old ladies.

Don't get me wrong... some of my favorite people are little old ladies. However, none of them are helpless or act that way. Traveling isn't scary or terribly difficult. Just pay attention. And please, give me a break. Just once.

No comments: