Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Lesson in Patience

It was a lovely weekend. Mom, P, E, and I went to Paducah to see the sights and determine if they would ever want to live there once they retire. The answer was a resounding "yes," thankfully. It really is a wonderful little town, with lots of restaurants, shops, and interesting things to do. We spent the day on Saturday shopping and sightseeing and Sunday looking at homes.

If I need to get going, I want to go. I can be ready to be out the door in 20 minutes, and I don't like to wait around. The other three operate on other schedules. E takes at least an hour to get ready (and an hour is quick for her!), and Mom and P can get ready quickly but take just as long to get their stuff together and get out the door. I was always the last one to shower but the first to go. I also spent a lot of time waiting outside, or in the car. I tried so hard not to show my frustration, but couldn't help it when it took half an hour to check out of the hotel yesterday.

The only time that H and I fight is in the morning. Neither of us can stand getting up, but I get up and moving (quickly) when I have to. He gets up late and moves glacially. It is always stressful for both of us when we have to be somewhere and I have to press him to hurry, because he won't. Thankfully, he is always good about getting up to catch planes because he knows that the thought of missing a flight drives me over the edge.

I need to learn how to slow down. Or, maybe not slow down, but to let other people operate at their own speed.

No comments: